- DNP, Nursing Practice, Saint Louis University - Main Campus
- MN, Clinical Gerontology, University of South Carolina - Columbia
- BSN, Nursing, Bob Jones University
- Nursing Process: Beginning Medical-Surgical/Geriatric Nursing (Nu 204)
- Nursing Process: Beginning Physical Assessment (Nu 203)
- Nursing Process: Fundamentals (Nu 200)
Dr. Valarie Petersen blends a unique combination of academia and clinical experiences when teaching in either the classroom or the clinical setting. Dr. Petersen holds a Master’s degree in Nursing in Clinical Gerontology and is part of a very small percentage of nationally certified Gerontological Clinical Nurse Specialists across the country teaching in nursing schools. This preparation allows Dr. Petersen to bring a specialized perspective to the art of caring for the elderly in the various fields of nursing.
Dr. Petersen is also certified as a family nurse practitioner (FNP) and works part-time in Greenville’s community health care center. She has her own caseload of patients in the facility and is licensed to prescribe medications and Schedule III-V drugs. This FNP experience provides color and depth to her lectures in fundamentals of nursing and nursing assessment, as well as the medical/surgical and gerontological nursing classes.
With a doctorate in nursing practice, Dr. Petersen has an uncanny ability to keep her students on the edge of their seats. There is no telling what she may try in order to communicate with her students! Most importantly, she brings a love for the Lord and for using the nursing setting as a mission field anywhere in the world.