Once you’ve checked in, you can start building your schedule. There are several placement tests, auditions and other details that you should be aware of before you build your schedule for your first semester.
If you have a set work schedule during standard class hours, make sure you indicate those times in your schedule (found on StudentCentral). Doing so will help you determine a weekly class schedule that works for you.
(Private Lessons and/or Choir and Instrumental Groups)
If you’re taking music lessons for the first time at BJU, you’ll need to audition before you register for classes. All students, regardless of academic program, are welcome to audition for one of our music groups. If you want to join a music group, you’ll be able to reserve space for them on your schedule in StudentCentral when you register for classes.
ACT and Placement Tests
We require the ACT of all students. If you haven’t submitted your scores by the week of registration, you’ll take the ACT on Saturday, Sept. 5, from 1–5 p.m.
Your ACT scores and any placement tests you take determine the level of instruction you should register for in various subject areas.
Placement tests will be given on Saturday, Aug. 29, 1-4 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 31, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- English Placement Test—If you fall into one of the following categories, you’ll need to take this test: you have no ACT scores yet, you have an associate degree and transferred fewer than 6 English credits, or you have a baccalaureate degree and transferred fewer than 9 English credits.
- Mathematics Test—If you are taking a mathematics course the first semester you’re here and have no ACT scores yet, you’ll need to take this test.
- Modern Language Tests (Chinese, French, German and Spanish)—If you’re taking a modern language course in a language you’ve studied before, you’ll need to take a placement test for that language. If you’re new to a foreign language, when you go to the testing center, all you’ll need to do is indicate that you’re beginning in that language.
- Music Theory Test—If you are studying in a music program and want to place out of or validate music theory courses (such as MT 105 and 106) on the basis of your previous music training, you’ll need to take this test.
- Music Qualifying Test—If you’re auditioning for a music lesson and aren’t in a music program, you’ll need to take this test. Depending on your test results, you may need to take MT 098 Fundamentals of Music (0 credit, 0 load) during the semester of your first music lesson.
- Rudiments of Music Test—If you’re studying in a music program, and will be taking MT 105 Theory I, you’ll need to take this test. Depending on your test results, you may need to take MT 099 Rudiments of Music (0 credit, 0 load) during the same semester as MT 105.
Make sure to take all placement tests that apply to you before registering for classes. Immediately following the tests, we’ll let you know which courses you should register for.