Skip to main content

Veterans Benefits

Bob Jones University is approved by the Veterans Administration (VA) as a training facility for eligible veterans, service personnel, reservists, children and widow/widowers of veterans. BJU’s Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) collects and processes all required VA documentation.

Apply for VA benefits

  1. Apply to BJU.
  2. After being admitted to BJU, apply for Veterans Educational Benefits. Information regarding eligibility, applications and certification may be obtained from the Veterans Administration (1-888-GI-BILL-1) or from BJU’s Military Educational Benefits Coordinator.
  3. Post 9/11 and Dependent Assistance; send a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility* and complete the Intent To Use Military Benefits form (must be submitted each term the student wishes to use benefit)
  4. Chapter 1606 send monthly amount letter and if eligible for the Kicker send Kicker verification.
  5. 5. Upon receipt of all required documents and after Drop/Add period we will submit enrollment certification to the VA Regional Office.

*Certificate of Eligibility
Once the Department of Veteran’s Affairs has received your application and all the necessary documentation, the claim will be processed. Veterans and eligible dependents will receive notification of this action in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate will indicate the type of benefit you are entitled to, the number of months you have to use your benefit and the date your benefit will expire.

The Military Educational Benefits Coordinator acts as a point of contact and liaison for the student, the university and the Veterans Administration and collects and processes all required VA documentation. Note that the Military Educational Benefits Coordinator is not part of the Veterans Administration, but is an employee of Bob Jones University.


School’s Certifying Official

Tracy Brown
Financial Aid Office

Contact Info

Veterans Administration Regional Office

1801 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC 29201

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

P.O. Box 100022
Office of Financial Aid
Decatur, GA 30031-7022

Types of Education Assistance Programs

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. Or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This program will pay eligible individuals:

  • Tuition & fees paid directly to the school not to exceed the maximum tuition & mandatory fees for Bob Jones University
  • Monthly housing allowance for new students is based on the Basic Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school; $1,071
  • Annual books & supplies stipend of up to $1,000 paid at $41.67 per credit hour
  • One-time rural benefit payment for eligible individuals

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The portion or percentage of the program maximum amounts to be received is determined by the length of the aggregate service and/or disability status.

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Recipients are paid a monthly stipend while enrolled in education classes. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

This program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.

Institutional Training

Training TimeMonthly rate
Full time$1,018.00
3/4 time $763.00
1/2 time $506.00

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserves, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Institutional Training

Training TimeMonthly rate
Full time$367.00
3/4 time $274.00
1/2 time $182.00
Less than 1/2 time $91.75

Enrollment Certification

BJU’s Military Educational Benefits Coordinator reports all the information regarding your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs after the Drop/Add period. Any changes in enrollment are electronically submitted. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606 & 1607 are required to confirm their enrollment status to the VA at the end of each month by calling 1-800-823-2378.

Upon receipt of all required documentation and after the Drop/Add period, the certifying official will forward an Enrollment Certificate to the Veterans Administration Regional Office. No paperwork will automatically be prepared and forwarded to the Veterans Administration for processing and payment without the student's request. Students must complete the Intent to Use Form for each term that they wish to receive benefits. Completed forms should be forwarded to the office of the Certifying Official.


About VA benefits

  • Benefits are paid on a monthly basis and the amount varies depending on the veteran’s status.
  • The first disbursement usually is received approximately 4 to 6 weeks after you have been certified by the Military Educational Benefits Coordinator. The Military Educational Benefits Coordinator will send information on registration and the start of classes to each student receiving VA or Military aid once the certificate of eligibility and Intent to Use forms are received.
  • Post 9/11 recipient’s book stipend and housing funds will be direct deposited into the bank account that was set up when you applied on Vonapp (tuition and fees will be sent directly to the University).
  • VA programs and policies and University services and procedures are subject to change. You should maintain contact with the University’s VA/Military Educational Benefits Coordinator and the Veterans Administration.
  • Your enrollment will be certified after Drop/Add on a semester-by-semester basis only, not on an annual or basis.
  • If you withdraw from BJU, drop or add a course that may change your training time, or change your major, you are required to immediately contact the University’s Military Educational Benefits Coordinator concerning the necessary forms to complete.
  • Dropping your credit load may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits, thus creating an overpayment. As a result of an overpayment, you may then owe a debt to the Veterans Administration or the school. Please see the note concerning overpayment.
  • Benefits will not be paid for audited courses or courses that do not count toward degree completion.
  • Benefits will be discontinued if you do not maintain SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress). Undergraduates | Graduates