Apply for aid
After Form 22-5490 has been submitted, you will receive 2 copies of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You should bring one copy of the COE to the School’s Certifying Official (SCO) and retain the other copy for your records.
Once the certification has been submitted, you will receive an award letter from the VA. You need to submit a copy of the award letter to the SCO. At this point, you should begin receiving your monthly checks.
Below is a list of the documents required before the Office of Veterans Affairs can certify you. This paperwork must be delivered to the SCO.
- Dependent’s Birth Certificate (when child is applying)
- Veteran’s DD 214 Member 4
- Spouse’s Marriage Certificate (when spouse is applying)
- Veteran’s Disability Ratings Letter
- Copy of Death Certificate (if veteran is deceased)