$75 (Beginning Band; day camp only; no lunch)
$150 (for day camp; includes lunch)
$250 (for out-of-town overnight 7th & 8th graders*)
($95 / $170 / $270 after May 15)
Beginning Band: Grades 5–8*
Intermediate Band: Grades 6-8*
Intermediate String Orchestra: Grades 5–8*
Piano: Grades 5–8*
Junior Music Camps are a fast-paced week filled with singing, large group performance, daily competitions and recreational activities. Campers will enjoy morning devotions and musical instruction from BJU faculty who have dedicated their lives to helping young people develop their musical abilities.
Beginning Band Camp is an exciting opportunity to get a jump-start on the school year by exploring and beginning to learn a brand-new instrument — all under the direction of BJU’s music faculty, professionals who are nationally recognized for their musical excellence.
Camp begins on Monday and runs from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. daily. The week concludes on Friday with a final Beginning Band Concert for family and friends at 11 a.m.
Choose from the following instruments: trumpet, trombone, baritone, flute, clarinet, saxophone and percussion. Music and instruments will be provided for all campers. No prior experience is required on your chosen instrument.
- Learn through daily lessons, theory, and beginning band rehearsals—all taught by BJU’s music faculty.
- Enjoy musical games and special activities.
- Participate in a final concert for your family and friends
Intermediate Band and Intermediate String Orchestra
Intermediate Band or String Orchestra provides a great opportunity to strengthen your musical skills with a focus on large group performance, with all sessions taught by professional musicians from BJU’s Division of Music. A limited number of instruments are available for rental for $10 for the week (no fee for use of percussion instruments).
- Minimum of at least one year of playing experience on your instrument is required.
- Participate in sight-reading auditions on Monday for chair placement and/or chamber orchestra.
- Be challenged in focused sectional and ensemble rehearsals, all taught by professional musicians from BJU’s Division of Music.
- Learn through musical games and special activities, including a musical scavenger hunt.
- Sing in the camp choir.
- And perform in a final camp concert for family and friends on Friday.
Piano campers will enjoy a variety of daily keyboard-related classes in addition to private or group instruction each day. All lessons and classes are taught by professional musicians from BJU’s Division of Music.
- Bring the classical and sacred pieces you are currently working on for study in lessons and performance in recitals.
- Develop skills through built-in practice time.
- Strengthen note-reading and hand-eye coordination by trying out handbells.
- Make new friends and enjoy daily recreation, including a musical scavenger hunt.
- Sing in the camp choir.
- And perform in a final piano recital for family and friends on Friday as well as participate in the final camp concert.
Junior Music Camp begins on Monday and runs from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. daily except for Beginning Band which ends at 11:30 a.m. The week concludes on Friday with piano recitals at 2:30 p.m. and an all-camp concert at 4 p.m.
Seventh- and eighth-grade campers from out of town who are staying in the residence halls may be picked up either after the concert on Friday (preferred) or on Saturday before noon.
Seventh- and eighth-grade campers from out of town are welcome to stay overnight in residence halls with supervision provided by summer camp staff members—BJU students who love music and have set aside this week to serve at Summer Music Camp.
Overnight campers should be picked up after the concert on Friday but may make arrangements to stay through Saturday morning if needed.
- 8–11:30 a.m. — Bible study/devotional time, large group rehearsals, piano classes, recreation
- 11:45 a.m. — Lunch
- 12:30 p.m. — Bible study
- 1–4:45 p.m. — Camp choir, sectionals, piano classes, musical games, large group rehearsals
*Grade as of September 2015