Leaders are responsible for those they lead, and will give a greater account to God for how they used their position in leadership. That’s why with BJU’s educational leadership program, you’ll learn not only the technical skills to be an excellent leader, but also the biblical truths that transform your character.
And with the program’s flexible option of distance learning available through BJUOnline, you’ll be able to continue working where God has placed you.
BJU’s master’s program in educational leadership equips you to be an excellent leader in a Christian school context.
You’ll begin your program by exploring the historical and philosophical foundations of American education. As you broaden your perspective, you’ll begin formulating and expressing your own educational theory, practice and philosophy of Christian school management. You’ll also learn how to implement the various business principles of running an educational institution, from finance to philosophy to personnel development to decision making.
In addition, you’ll explore educational technologies and learn how to use them in a variety of settings. You’ll learn how to construct tests and develop testing programs and how to interpret test results and other educational data so you can better meet students’ educational needs. Throughout your time in the program, you’ll build your leadership portfolio with coursework and practical hands-on experience such as working under the supervision of a school administrator. Most importantly, you’ll be equipped with a well-rounded education from a biblical worldview that will benefit and guide you for years to come.
Our faculty for the master’s program in educational leadership all hold terminal degrees and teach in their fields of expertise. These experienced professionals bring to the classroom their varied experience—from being administrator of a primary school, to authoring and contributing to school textbooks, to presenting material at workshops.
Educator Professional Development Program
To encourage the continued professional improvement of Christian school leaders and teachers, BJU is pleased to offer the Educator Professional Development Program. Students who are current employees of Christian schools and have been accepted into the MEd teaching and learning program or the MS educational leadership program are eligible for a 50% tuition discount for courses that support either program. For further information, contact the director of financial aid.
Online Learning Experience
All of our courses are online and are designed for the busy professional. You will be able to listen to lectures, participate in discussions, complete practical projects, and take quizzes and tests at a time and place that works best for your schedule.
BJU offers students a variety of ways to network with employers and organizations. A multitude of job opportunities are posted each year on Career Central, our online job board. In addition, more than 60 businesses and 150 Christian schools/mission boards/Christian organizations come on campus to recruit students through on-campus interviews and job/ministry fairs.
Career Services also helps students by holding seminars on resume preparation and interview techniques.
The following courses are required:
- Assessment of Learning
- Curriculum Development & Design
- Educational Leadership Action Research Project
- Foundations of Leadership
- History & Philosophy of Education
- Organizational Leadership
- Personnel Administration & Supervision
- Pupil Personnel Services
- Research in Education
- School Business Management
- Technology in Education
Each student will:
- Apply readings and research findings in areas of instructional leadership and Christian school management.
- Acquire skills to initiate, supervise and lead spiritual, instructional and management principles in Christian schools.
- Develop biblical based philosophies of instructional leadership and management practices.
- Apply knowledge of content areas and curriculum goals to design, supervise and assess appropriate instruction in the Christian school.
- Integrate appropriate technology and resources to support instruction in the Christian school.
- Demonstrate skill in critical thinking, problem solving and leading stakeholders.