Skip to main content

Transfer Credits from Other Institutions

  1. It is the policy of BJU to consider for transfer, credits earned in a regular college or university or other institution of collegiate level. The accreditation status of the other institutions will be a factor in transfer credit decisions, but it will not be the sole or primary factor.
  2. Only those credits which carry a grade of at least C or its equivalent at the undergraduate level or at least B at the graduate level may be transferred (no grade of D, F, or P).
  3. Credit for courses such as keyboarding, shorthand, music theory, and language is transferable only by placement test validation. This validation must be secured at the time of the student’s first semester registration in Bob Jones University. Moreover, the student must place in the course at the next level for the transfer credit to be recognized.
  4. Courses acceptable for transfer must be substantially in line with the course of study offered by Bob Jones University and must serve a useful purpose in the particular curriculum which the student proposes to follow. A course to be accepted need not be identical with a course offered at Bob Jones University, but it must be a course, even as a general elective, which is in line with the baccalaureate requirements as defined in the University catalog. For example, a student who has heretofore pursued for any length of time a curriculum in any field in which courses are not offered at Bob Jones University, may not expect to receive full transfer value for his previous work. A limited number of such credits are transferable as general electives.
  5. In transferring credits, all evaluations are made in terms of courses as they appear in the University Catalog. Though the original course titles are retained, the student’s transfer record will show the course number as it appears in the Bob Jones University Catalog. Transfer courses for which there exist no parallel courses in this institution but which are acceptable for transfer will be assigned the proper departmental classification.
  6. Transfer credit may be given by the University in any one field of study not to exceed the amount of credit required in the University for a major in that particular field. For example, a student who has had extensive training in religion elsewhere may not expect to transfer more than 30 semester hours in religion, since 30 semester hours of appropriate courses constitute a religion major in Bob Jones University. If the student expects to major in the field in which he presents the maximum number of transfer hours, he must complete a minimum of 12 semester hours in his major field in Bob Jones University.
  7. Transfer students may fall into any classification from freshman to senior, though rarely is a student able to transfer and complete degree requirements in one year.
  8. Though certain adjustments may be made to the program of study for a student who transfers to this institution late in his college program, it should be kept in mind that the "in residence" regulation requires a candidate for a degree to complete a minimum of 30 semester hours in at least 2 semesters of residence in Bob Jones University. This stipulation means that in the minimum of 2 semesters the student must carry a full load of work and must meet the minimum academic standards required by the University for graduation.
  9. College-level credit completed after the sophomore year of high school will be evaluated on an individual basis.
  10. A unit of credit at Bob Jones University is a semester hour. Quarter hours are transposed into semester hours at the ratio of 3 to 2; that is, 3 quarter hours equals 2 semester hours. No fractional credits are recorded, and course credits of a fragmentary nature are disallowed.
  11. AP, CLEP and IB Credit