Understanding and creating art and design is a valuable talent to explore. Enter your work and get feedack. And hear from professional artists and designers in masterclasses.
- Lettering/Calligraphy (pen and ink, brush and ink)
- Drawing (pencil, colored pencil, pen and ink, pastel)
- Painting (oil, acrylic)
- Painting (gouache, watercolor)
- Printmaking (linoleum, woodcut, etching, dry point, serigraphy)
- Mixed Media (combinations of media)
- Ceramics (fired pottery)
- Crafts (felting, book arts, macramé, weaving, appliqué, basketry, batik, etc.)
- Sculpture (clay, wood, stone, etc.)
- Single original black-and-white or color photograph. Not a series.
- Photographed on a prosumer or professional level SLR, DSLR or a mirrorless camera system
All two-dimensional entries must be suitably matted and/or framed. Works on canvas must be framed, cradled or gallerywrapped. All framed entries must have cable or wire with wire-style hanging hardware firmly attached to the back. All matted entries must have hook-side Velcro tabs attached to the back four corners. Please do not use sawtooth picture hangers, easel-backs or keyhole hanging systems. All works not under glass must be completely dry. Pastel and charcoal drawings must be thoroughly fixed. Entries not meeting all of these criteria may not be displayed.
Three-dimensional includes the categories of Ceramics (fired pottery), Crafts (felting, book arts, macramé, weaving, appliqué, basketry, batik, etc.) and Sculpture (clay, wood, stone, etc.). All three-dimensional entries must stand on their own or arrive with suitable installation hardware (in the case of a wall hanging). The exhibition venue will not provide installation hardware for the display of the entry. Sculpture entries should have adequate bases if necessary. Entries not meeting all of these criteria may not be displayed.
The Photography entry must be a single, original, color or black-and-white photograph. A photo essay (a series of pictures to tell a story) is not allowed. Minimum size must be 5 × 7. If it is not immediately obvious, please indicate “top” and “bottom” on the back of the photo. The photo should be printed on photo-grade paper, not regular copy paper. The surface may be glossy, matte, satin or luster finish. No commercial clip art may be used in the photograph. The piece should be mounted and may be matted but should not be framed. All photography entries must have hook-side Velcro tabs attached to the back four corners. Entries not meeting all of these criteria may not be displayed.
- Students may win first place more than once in successive years with different pieces.
- Any student who does not fulfill all of the contest requirements will forfeit their right to win but will receive judges’ written critiques.