Get help developing your ability to communicate God’s Word clearly and effectively. And learn how to prepare an expository sermon from an Old Testament narrative passage.
In addition, you may enter up to two Festival individual/solo contests and may compete in the group contests. Please keep in mind, however, that participation in other events may result in scheduling conflicts that prevent you from getting the maximum benefit from the workshops and preaching sessions.
After registering you will be assigned a passage from the book of 1 Kings. Though you are welcome to study the passage beforehand, you are discouraged from preparing your sermon ahead of time. However, reading through the book of 1 Kings at least once is strongly suggested.
The goal of the preaching conference is to take you through the sermon construction process as it relates to a story from the Old Testament. Though interactive workshops, we will take you from text to sermon. Those who wish to preach their sermon and get feedback on their content and delivery may do so on Thursday.
We encourage you to bring a laptop or notebook that you can use as you work on your message. There a printers and a copy center available on campus for you to use.
You will benefit from the following:
- The opportunity to prepare and preach a message from God’s Word
- Helpful, personal feedback and coaching from members of the School of Religion and Seminary faculty
- Workshop sessions designed to aid in accurately interpreting Old Testament narratives and then constructing and delivering a biblically faithful and compelling message
- A free book for those who attend the workshop sessions
- Cookout and informal interaction with School of Religion and Seminary faculty
Tuesday and Wednesday
- Workshops designed to help with interpreting and preaching from Old Testament narrative
- One-on-one coaching designed to help you prepare and improve your message
- Preaching session with feedback
- Cookout with faculty
The workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday will offer valuable information to help you communicate the Word of God effectively.
This year we will be conducting workshops designed to help you interpret and preach from an Old Testament narrative. Our 2021 conference will focus on preaching from Old Testament poetry.
On Thursday, sponsors and participants have the opportunity to enjoy a free cookout dinner with members of the School of Religion and Seminary faculty.