Skip to main content

Transfer Students

BJU might be the best place for you to finish your education.

Even if you started somewhere else.

It’s important to find a place where you fit. If you’re looking for a high quality and affordable education and a community of believers growing together in Christ, you’ll find it here.

If you’ve completed at least 12 semester hours of college coursework following your graduation from high school, you’re eligible to apply as a transfer student.

students in class

How is my transfer work evaluated?

Transfer evaluation is a course-by-course comparison from other institutions to BJU. Your first step is exploring the course equivalency tool.

After exploring the equivalency tool, you can send us your unofficial transcripts, and we’ll work with you to evaluate your previous college credits and help you develop a plan for the future. We want to do everything we can to make your transition to BJU the best it can be.

Course Equivalency

Check to see which of your courses match courses at BJU in our course equivalency tool.

Course Equivalency

Full transfer work is evaluated once you have been admitted and confirmed your reservation. In general, BJU accepts transfer credit from recognized institutions for any course that is comparable to ones that we offer and that you earned a grade of C or better in.

Have a question about transferring? Let us know.

How Do I Start?

Your applying process is the same as the standard admission process. And you can apply today.

  1. Apply
  2. Submit documents
  3. Confirm your reservation

Apply Now

Financial Aid

We know that cost is an important part of your decision. That’s why we continually work to keep our costs affordable. BJU is the #2 Best Value School in the South in the U.S. News & World Report ranking. All new transfer students are automatically reviewed for BJU institutional aid once you complete the application process.

Explore Aid

Visit Us

We’d love for you to visit us and let us show you around campus. Or you can schedule a live virtual visit.

Schedule Your Visit

How do I secure transcripts from my high school and any post-secondary institutions that I have attended?

Will my grade point averages (GPA) at other institutions carry over to BJU?

How many credits must I complete at BJU to earn a degree?

How long does it take a transfer student to graduate from BJU?

When does my transfer work become part of my BJU academic record?

Once I am accepted and attend BJU am I allowed to take courses during the summer at other institutions and transfer them to BJU?

If I change my major/minor does that impact my transfer work evaluation?

What if my major at my current or previous college is not offered at BJU?

I will be completing or have completed a course BJU does not offer?

I did not do well at my previous college; how will that impact admission’s acceptance decision and academic status at BJU?

I am currently attending another college, but want to transfer to BJU in the future. How can I determine what courses to take?

How long does it take to process a transfer work evaluation request?

Does BJU recognize military service?

I have 10 years of work experience. How do I apply for life experience credit?

  1. It is the policy of Bob Jones University to consider for transfer credits earned in a regular college or university or other institution of collegiate level. The accreditation status of the other institution(s) will be a factor in transfer credit decisions, but it will not be the sole or primary factor.
    • Coursework Earned at Non-Regionally or Nationally Accredited Institutions: In cases where a student submits coursework from an institution that is not regionally accredited or that is nationally accredited, a course-by-course evaluation is conducted by the registrar based on recommendations of the faculty in the relevant academic program to ascertain if the coursework is at the collegiate level and is comparable to courses offered at Bob Jones University.
    • International Coursework: International students with post-secondary study outside of the United States must submit a credential evaluation report from World Education Services. Those with prior university work must request a course-by-course evaluation and identify Bob Jones University as the recipient of the completed report. See the BJU Admission of International Students Policy for additional information.
    • Military Institutional Coursework: Coursework from the Air University, the Defense Language Institute, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Military Academy, the United States Air Force Academy and the United States Coast Guard Academy will be considered for transfer if a comparable course is offered at Bob Jones University.
  2. Only those credits which carry a grade of at least C or its equivalent at the undergraduate level or at least B at the graduate level may be transferred (no grade of D, F or P).
  3. Credit for courses such as music theory and language is transferable only by placement test validation. Art and design courses are validated by presenting a portfolio to the art and design faculty to be evaluated. This validation must be secured at the time of the student’s initial semester registration in Bob Jones University. Moreover, the student must place in the course at the next level for the transfer credit to be recognized.
  4. Courses acceptable for transfer must be substantially in line with the course of study offered by Bob Jones University and must serve a useful purpose in the particular curriculum which the student proposes to follow. To be accepted, a course need not be identical with a course offered at Bob Jones University; but it must be a course, even as a general elective, which is in line with the degree requirements defined in the Undergraduate Catalog. For example, a student who has heretofore pursued for any length of time a curriculum in any field in which courses are not offered at Bob Jones University may not expect to receive full transfer value for their previous work. A limited number of such credits is transferable as general electives.
  5. In transferring credits, all evaluations are made in terms of courses as they appear in the University’s Undergraduate Catalog. Though the original course titles are retained, the student’s transfer record will show the course number as it appears in the Bob Jones University Undergraduate Catalog. Transfer courses for which there exist no parallel courses in this institution but which are acceptable for transfer will be assigned the proper departmental classification.
  6. Transfer credit may be given by Bob Jones University in any one field of study not to exceed 30 semester credits. For example, a student who has had extensive training in religion elsewhere may not expect to transfer more than 30 semester credits in religion. If the student expects to major in the field in which they present the maximum number of transfer credits, they must complete a minimum of 12 semester credits in the major field at Bob Jones University.
  7. Transfer students may fall into any classification from freshman to senior, though rarely is a student able to transfer and complete degree requirements in one year.
  8. Though certain adjustments may be made to the program of study for a student who transfers to this institution late in the college program, it should be noted that the “in residence” regulation requires a candidate for a baccalaureate degree to complete a minimum of 30 semester credits in at least two semesters in residence at Bob Jones University. Candidates for an associate degree must complete a minimum of 16 semester credits in at least one semester in residence at Bob Jones University. This stipulation means that in the minimum of two semesters the student must carry a full load of work and must meet the minimum academic standards required by Bob Jones University for degree conferral.
  9. Bob Jones University does not accept in transfer any college-level work taken prior to the completion of the sophomore year of high school. College-level work completed after the sophomore year of high school will be evaluated on an individual basis.
  10. A unit of credit at Bob Jones University is a semester hour. Quarter hours are transposed into semester hours at the ratio of 3:2; that is, three quarter hours equals two semester hours. No fractional credits are recorded, and course credits of a fragmentary nature are disallowed.
  11. AP, CLEP and IB Credit: BJU does recognize Advance Placement (AP), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credits subject to the following limitations. To be recognized, credits must have been earned prior to enrollment at Bob Jones University and after the sophomore year of high school. Credit for AP is based solely upon AP tests and not on AP courses. AP test scores must be 4 or above for recognition. General CLEP scores are not recognized. Subject area CLEP credits are acceptable so long as the scores are 50 or above. IB credit is based solely upon the Higher Level Examination results. IB test scores must be 5 or above for recognition. A total of six English credits may be earned by IB, excluding AP and CLEP programs. The total credit earned through AP, CLEP and IB programs is limited to 30 semester credits, which includes any credit in transfer presented from approved distance or online learning institutions. There is no charge for recognition of AP, CLEP and IB credits. Prospective students desiring information concerning the AP and CLEP programs should contact The College Board, P.O. Box 977, Princeton, NJ 08540.
  12. All work taken at other institutions for transfer into a degree program at Bob Jones University once the student has been accepted into a program must be approved by the registrar in advance. In such circumstances, the amount of credit to be taken elsewhere will be limited. Moreover, the student is expected to complete their final semester of coursework in residence at Bob Jones University.
  13. Military Training and Experience: Academic credit for military service or training will be considered in accordance with the recommendations set forth in the manual, “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” See Policy Volume V on the university intranet for additional information.
  14. Credit Appeals Process: Upon completion of the credit review processes, students will be notified of the decision by the Registrar’s Office. A student wishing to challenge course credits deemed ineligible for credit must file a written appeal with the registrar, who will bring the matter to the attention of the Academic Council. Within 10 business days of receipt of the appeal, the chair of the Academic Council will notify the student of the Academic Council’s decision.
  15. Transfer work is calculated into a student’s cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) at the time the degree is conferred. For associate degree students, transfer work is not calculated into the final GPA. The student is required to earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher in courses taken at Bob Jones University in order to earn an associate or bachelor’s degree from BJU.
  16. Current students will not receive approval to take any core course at another institution if that course is offered online through Bob Jones University. See Policy Volume V on the university intranet for additional information.

In addition to the regulations above, the following regulations clarify the basis of transfer for work completed in a standard Bible college:

  1. Credits earned in the field of religion in a standard Bible school of college level are considered for transfer purposes on the same basis as credits earned in other fields in a regular college or university.
  2. Credits earned in a Bible school of approved collegiate standing are accepted on the same basis as credits earned in any other institution of college level.
  3. Credits in the academic fields earned in a Bible school which does not have a recognized college department may be transferred only by validation. This validation may be secured by examination, as in English, or by the completion of the next course in sequence with a minimum grade of C, as in Greek. The procedure used is that recommended by the department. All validation examinations must be completed within the first half-semester of a student’s registration in BJU. A fee is charged for each validation examination.
  4. Evaluation of credits completed in Bible schools is made according to the regulations governing all transfer work, including the quality of work required, the maximum number of credits which may be transferred, etc.
  5. Because of the wide variety of religion courses offered in Bible schools and because of the variations existing in course titles and course contents from school to school, Bob Jones University allows all transfer credits in religion on an equivalence basis in terms of courses and credits listed in the Undergraduate Catalog under the School of Religion. This assignment of credits is made on the basis of the contents of the courses pursued elsewhere as compared with parallel courses offered in this institution.
  6. Upon completion of the credit review processes, students will be notified of the decision by the Registrar’s Office. A student wishing to challenge course credits deemed ineligible for credit must file a written appeal with the registrar, who will bring the matter to the attention of the Academic Council. Within 10 business days of receipt of the appeal, the chair of the Academic Council will notify the student of the Academic Council’s decision.